Jacksonville, Fla. – The UCF baseball team traveled to Jacksonville, Fla. on Wednesday night, earning a shutout win in the first of four games against UNF. The Knights threw six pitchers in the midweek shutout, combining to allow just three hits and strikeout six UNF batters.
Pablo Ruiz got the scoring started with a two-run shot in the second inning, and the Knights never looked back. UCF added another in the third after a Matt Archer triple, followed by Gephry Pena driving him in with a single.
Highlighted by his second big fly of the season, Josh Crouch launched a two-run home run to get a three-run sixth inning started. Alex Freeland broke the game open with a bases loaded double in the eighth, which was followed up by a Conor Allen sac fly and John Montes RBI-single before the inning was finished.
Kenny Serwa made his UCF debut with a 3.0 IP performance, allowing a single hit and picking up two strikeouts in the contest. Five guys came out of the bullpen to toss a scoreless inning before passing the torch to the next. Nolan Lepkoske earned the win, striking out one and walking one.
UCF (4-8) – 10, UNF (4-9) – 0
Winning Pitcher: Nolan Lepkoske (1.0 IP, 1 K, 1 BB)
Losing Pitcher: Rafael Santos (2.2 IP, 1 K, 5 H, 3 ER)
Top Hitters: Matt Archer (4-4, 2 R, 3B, SB), Josh Crouch ()
Top Pitchers: Kenny Serwa (3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 K), Ryan Saltonstall (1.0 IP, 1 K)
- 11 of 12 Knights hitters to have a plate appearance earned a base hit in the 10-run win over UNF.
- Six UCF pitchers combined to allow just three hits from the Osprey offense, fanning six batters.
- The Knights smacked five extra base hits, including Matt Archer's first triple of the season
- Josh Crouch and Pablo Ruiz each hit home runs in the game, pushing the Knights team total to 14 (ranked 26th nationally).
- UCF had a busy night on the base paths, stealing twice and getting caught stealing twice.
- The win marks the first win since clinching the series over No. 1 Ole Miss on Feb. 27
The Knights return to John Euliano Park on Friday at 6:00 pm to continue the season series with UNF. They will then return to Jacksonville on Saturday for a 5:00 pm start. The series will wrap up on Sunday at 2:00 pm with a return to Orlando.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Baseball on social media on Facebook (/UCF.Baseball), Twitter (UCF_Baseball) and Instagram (UCF.Baseball).