BATON ROUGE, La. (UCFKnights.com) - A flurry of second half goals ensured that the No. 8 UCF women's soccer team would extend its unbeaten streak. The Knights topped LSU, 4-0, at the LSU Soccer Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
"I'm really proud of the team again," UCF head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak said. "We played a really good LSU team today. We had to sort out LSU's game plan and we had to change the way we play a little bit. I'm really proud of the way that we're able to handle different type of styles and opponents, fix it and get better."
UCF (10-1-1, 5-0-1 The American) took the lead in the 31st minute on a goal from Stefanie Sanders. Carrie Lawrence extended the lead at the 55:04 mark as her corner kick sailed in the net to give UCF a 2-0 advantage.
Kayla Adamek added to the tally less than a minute later, scoring at 55:39 to make it 3-0 UCF. Madison Murnin made it a trio of goals in an eight-minute span as she scored at 63:01 for the final 4-0 mark.
The streak continues.
- UCF's unbeaten streak reached 11 matches with the victory at LSU.
- The Knights have not lost a contest since the season opener on Aug. 18
- During the streak, UCF has outscored its opponents, 35-4.
- With Sunday's victory over LSU, the Knights have now collected victories over a pair of Pac 12 opponents (Arizona, Arizona State), an ACC (North Carolina) and SEC opponent.
Defense does it again.
- For the seventh time this season, the UCF defense stepped up and shut out an opponent.
- The Knights limited the Tigers to just four shots in the game, and just one in the second half.
- Goalkeeper Vera Varis maintained her solid showing in goal.
- The Vantaa, Finland native has not conceded a marker since Aug. 25, and saw her goals against average drop yet again following the victory over LSU. The junior has compiled a 0.23 average this season.
- The Knights have not allowed more than one goal in a match since the season opener at then-No. 4 South Carolina.
The team spread the wealth on offense.
- Sunday's victory marked the first four-plus goal match where all four goals were scored by different Knights this season.
- The Knights also recorded their sixth straight contest with four or more goals.
- UCF has scored 27 goals over the last six games.
The Knights close out the regular season with a three-match homestand. UCF hosts UConn on Oct. 19 before welcoming Temple to the UCF Soccer Complex on Oct. 22.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF women's soccer team is set for its fifth season under head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak and will welcome six teams from the 2016 NCAA Tournament to the UCF Soccer Complex in 2017. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.
BECOME A PART OF THE WATCH
Membership to Knights Watch, the official supporters group of UCF Soccer, begins at $15 for students and $50 for fans. Packages include tickets to all home contests for men's and women's soccer, a Knights Watch T-Shirt, a soccer scarf and a variety of free catered tailgates. To become a member, click here.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.