ORLANDO, Fla. – Connor Staine and Chase Centala combined to pitch a three-hit, 12-inning shut out to even the series on Saturday against No. 2 Ole Miss at a game apiece. UCF (8-2) defeated No. 2 Ole Miss (9-1) 1-0, to hand the Rebels their first loss of the season.
Staine worked seven innings of two-hit baseball, carrying a no-hitter into the fifth. He punched out a career-high 10 batters and posted a career-high in innings, to be pegged with the no-decision Saturday.
Chase Centala picked up where Staine left off in the eighth, striking out the side. Centala would allow one hit over the next five innings of work, fanning six Ole Miss batters to shut the door and keep No. 2 Ole Miss off the score board.
In the bottom of the 12th, Gephry Pena led off the inning with a four-pitch walk. Nick Romano attempted to bunt Pena to second, but Romano was able to draw a five pitch walk to put runners on first and second with no outs.
Ben McCabe executed a perfect sacrifice bunt down the third base line with two-strikes to advance the runners to second and third. With the Ole Miss infield in, Riley Wash lined a 1-1 pitch back up the middle to score Gephry Pena from third and walk off Ole Miss.
The two sides will return to John Euliano Park on Sunday to face off in the rubber match. First pitch is scheduled for noon.
BOTTOM 12th | OLE MISS 0 – UCF 1 | Riley Wash singled up the middle to score Gephry Pena from third.
- Connor Staine recorded a career-high seven innings and 10 strikeouts on the night, being pegged with the no-decision.
- Chase Centala worked the final five innings of the ballgame, striking out six Ole Miss batters and allowing one hit.
- Gephry Pena finished the day 3-for-4 scoring the lone run and collected one extra base hit.
- Riley Wash collected the walk off winner in the bottom of the 12th, his first as a UCF Knight.
- Staine and Centala allowed one leadoff batter to reach base all game long.
- UCF was able to get the leadoff guy on base seven times tonight, six being from base hits.
UCF and Ole Miss will conclude the three-game series on Sunday afternoon at John Euliano Park. First pitch is scheduled for noon.