ORLANDO, Fla. – UCF Baseball (15-10) sent 13 batters to the plate, scoring nine runs on six hits in the second inning, to defeat the FAU Owls (16-10) 13-1 on Tuesday evening. The 13 runs mark the eighth time this season that the Knights have scored double digits, improving to 8-0 when that total is reached.
UCF opened the scoring in the bottom of the second, scoring nine runs to set the tone for the rest of the night. Lex Boedicker broke the scoreless tie, singling to right field to score Tom Josten. Ben McCabe followed that up with a single to right to score Michael Brooks, doubling the lead to 2-0. Cole Russo returned to the lineup, singling to right, to drive in Boedicker to triple the Knights lead.
Alex Freeland cleared the bases later in the inning with a double of the wall in left center. He scored a trio of runs to push the lead to 6-0, before Noah Orlando flew out to right field to score Freeland. Lex Boedicker drove in two more RBIs on the inning, doubling to score Brooks and Josten, extending the lead to 9-0.
FAU answered in the top of the fourth with a solo home run of their own, before UCF tacked on three more runs on a McCabe double down the line in left. UCF held a 12-1 lead as Freeland added one more run in the bottom of the fifth, scoring on a wild pitch.
The Knights pitching staff held strong all night, leaving 12 FAU Owls on base Tuesday. William Saxton improved to 2-0 on the season, working two innings in his controlled start. He allowed three hits and struck out three, getting out of a bases loaded jam in the first inning.
Cameron Crain took over for Saxton in the third, working three innings of two-hit baseball. Crain allowed one run and struck out four, before handing the ball off to Dominic Castellano. Castellano worked a scoreless inning, striking out two batters, while Cylis Cox worked a hitless inning, earning three ground balls to Freeland at shortstop.
Julian Balzer rebounded well on Tuesday, allowing one walk and striking out the side in his inning of work in the eighth. Jacob Marlowe entered in the ninth to close the ballgame, allowing one hit and striking out two batters.
BOTTOM 2nd | FAU 0 – UCF 9 | Lex Boedicker singled to right field to score Tom Josten. Ben McCabe singled to right field to score Michael Brooks. Cole Russo singled to right field to score Boedicker. Alex Freeland doubled to left center field to score Gephry Pena, Ryan Taylor and McCabe. Noah Orlando flied out to right field to score Freeland. Boedicker doubled to score Brooks and Josten.
TOP 4th | FAU 1 – UCF 9 | FAU hit a solo home run.
BOTTOM 4th | FAU 1 – UCF 12 | McCabe doubled down the line in left to score Boedicker, Orlando, and Freeland.
BOTTOM 5th | FAU 1 – UCF 13 | Freeland scored on a wild pitch.
- The last time UCF scored nine runs in an inning was at the American Athletic Tournament when the Knights scored nine runs in the eighth innings against Cincinnati.
- UCF improves to 8-0 in games when scoring double digits, while also improving to 12-0 in games where the opponent scores less than two runs.
- Ben McCabe finished the night 3-for-4 with a run scored and four RBIs. McCabe was also hit by a pitch and had two doubles.
- Alex Freeland and Lex Boedicker drove in three runs each tonight.
- William Saxton improved to 2-0 on the season, as the Knights used six different pitchers on Tuesday.
- Five of the six pitchers on Tuesday recorded a strikeout, as the staff struck out 14 Owls.
- The Knights drew nine total free bases this evening, walking six times and being hit by three pitches.
- UCF pitching staff was able to get two double play balls, bringing the season total to 26.
UCF baseball welcomes in bitter rival and conference opponent USF to town this weekend for the first of two installments of the War on I4. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. from John Euliano Park.