ORLANDO, Fla. – UCF (14-10) scored eight runs on two hits, walked five times, and was hit by pitches four times to run-rule Samford (12-9) on Sunday afternoon at John Euliano Park. Connor Staine was limited on Sunday, but improved to 3-0 on the year, working two innings of one hit baseball. Staine punched out three batters and allowed on walk in the outing.
The Knights opened the scoring in the bottom of the first, as Noah Orlando hit his second home run of the season, a solo shot to right field. Samford responded in the fourth, tying the ballgame at one a side.
Alex Freeland continued to stay hot this weekend, flying out to right field to score Pablo Ruiz from third, giving the Knights a 2-1 lead. In the sixth, UCF continued to widen the gap, as Ryan Taylor singled to the pitcher to score Andrew Sundean from third to extend the lead to 3-1.
In the eighth, UCF scored eight runs on a series of bases loaded walks and hit by pitches. Orlando mixed in an infield single to score Rushing and Sundean singled to left field to score Freeland from third to run rule the Bulldogs on Sunday and salvage the series finale.
Chase Centala worked two innings against the Bulldogs, allowing one run on two hits and fanning a pair. Cameron Crain and Ruddy Gomez combined for three innings of scoreless baseball, allowing two hits.
BOTTOM 1st | SAM 0 – UCF 1 | Noah Orlando hits a solo home run to right field.
TOP 4th | SAM 1 – UCF 1 | Samford ties the game in the fourth.
BOTTOM 5th | SAM 1 – UCF 2 | Alex Freeland flies out to right field to score Pablo Ruiz from third.
BOTTOM 6th | SAM 1 – UCF 3 | Ryan Taylor singles to the pitcher to score Andrew Sundean from third.
BOTTOM 7th | SAM 1 – UCF 11 | Lex Boedicker is hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Ben Rushing walks with the bases loaded. Trent Taylor is hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Gephry Pena walks with the bases loaded. Noah Orlando singles to left field to score Rushing. Alex Freeland reaches on a fielder's choice to score Taylor. Michael Brooks walks with the bases loaded. Sundean singles to left center to score Freeland.
- Connor Staine improved to 3-0 on the season, working two innings of controlled work on Sunday. He has now tallied 24.2 innings of not work, not allowing an earned run.
- Noah Orlando hit his second home run of the season in the first inning, finishing the day 2-for-4 with two RBIs.
- Andrew Sundean made two great defensive plays on Sunday, while adding a 1-for-3 line with two runs, an RBI and two hit by pitches.
- UCF sent 13 batters to the plate in the seventh inning, scoring eight runs on two hits. The Knights also walked five times in the inning and were hit by four pitches.
- With Alex Freeland's home run last night in the ninth inning, UCF has now homered in all innings this season.
- Lex Boedicker added a multi-hit game to his stats this season, finishing 2-for-3 with a run scored and RBI.
UCF will now welcome FAU to town on Tuesday evening at John Euliano Park. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.