Dallas, Texas – In the UCF women's soccer team's first overtime match of the 2021 season, the Knights came away with a 1-1 draw against No. 14 SMU on the road in Dallas on Thursday night.
Goalkeeper Caroline DeLisle made 11 saves in the contest, including seven in the second half, on the way to setting a career high.
In the 53rd minute of the match, the Mustangs broke the stalemate, taking a 1-0 lead on an Elisabeth Tse goal.
With less than 10 minutes left in the match, Ellie Moreno found herself along after gathering a cross from Anna Henderson. Moreno buried her second goal of the season, chipping the keeper to earn the equalizer at 1-1.
The Knights took the tie into overtime as the defense continued to steady to earn the road tie.
Thoughts with Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak
"We got a decent result on the road today against a very good SMU team. I will just say that I'm very proud of the team's spirit to go down, and come back to tie this game up on the road and go into overtime. We still have big things ahead of us, and I'm very proud of the team so we're going to keep believin'. Charge On!"
- With their first tie of the season, the Black and Gold moves to 5-4-1 (0-2-1 AAC) on the year.
- Redshirt junior Caroline DeLisle's 11 saves marks a career-high for the goalkeeper, which was previously set when DeLisle made 10 saves against South Florida in 2019
- SMU outshot the Knights 23-9 and 12-3 in shots on goal.
- Ellie Moreno's 81st minute equalizer is her second of the year,
- Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak is one win away from 150 in her career as a head coach, currently sitting at 149-92-36 in her career, and 96-42-17 as the head coach of the Knights
The Knights return to the UCF Soccer Complex for the latest edition of the War on I4, set for Thursday, October 8, 2021. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET, and will be streamed on ESPN+.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Women's Soccer on social media on Facebook (/UCFWSoccer), Twitter (@UCF_WSoccer) and Instagram (@UCF.WSoccer).