ORLANDO, Fla. – The UCF baseball team dropped game two of its season series with Stetson in Deland, Fla. on Wednesday, 6-5. The game saw four lead changes, twice in the eighth inning but the Knights were unable to overcome the Hatters on Wednesday.
Gephry Pena led the way for the Knights offensively, going 2-4 at the plate with a double and scoring two runs himself. Despite being hitless in the game, Ben McCabe drove in two RBI, the most for the Black and Gold. Noah Orlando and Pablo Ruiz each had an RBI as well.
The Knights took the lead in the top of the first as Gephry Pena turned a walk into a run and was driven in off of a line drive from Ben McCabe. Stetson answered in the fourth inning with three runs of their own and added to their lead with a fourth run in the fifth inning.
UCF answered with two runs in the sixth, as Ben McCabe drove in Gephry Pena after a bunt single to start the inning. Alex Freeland scored as the result of a bases loaded ground out to pull within one.
Taking the lead for the first time since the fourth frame, the Black and Gold added two more in the eighth, highlighted by a Pablo Ruiz line drive to right field to plate Noah Orlando. The Hatters answered UCF's two runs to retake the lead in their half of the eighth.
UCF (3-5) – 5, STETSON (10-0) – 6
Winning Pitcher: Danny Garcia (1-0)
Losing Pitcher: Zack Bennett (0-1)
Top Hitters: Gephry Pena (2-4, 1 2B, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 SB), Ben McCabe (0-4, 2 RBI), Noah Orlando, (1-2, 1 RBI)
Top Pitchers: Jack Sinclair (3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER), Zack Hunsicker (1.1 IP, 5 K, 0 BB, 0 H)
- Knights fall to 0-2 on the season series vs. Stetson and are now 74-51 all-time against the Hatters.
- Jack Sinclair tossed 3.0 IP of scoreless baseball, not allowing a single Stetson runner in his outing.
- Ben McCabe led the Knights with two RBI against Stetson and leads the team with 16 – just one shy of his 2019 total for the entire season.
- Gephry Pena's ninth inning double is his second game in a row with an extra base hit.
- Zack Hunsicker struck out 5 batters in a 1.1 IP appearance, after striking out the side in his first full inning and earning his fourth strikeout after a dropped third strike allowed a runner to reach base.
The Knights will return home to host Liberty for a three-game set, the first full weekend series of 2021. The Flames come to Orlando with a 3-5 record, after defeating Radford at home 5-1 on Tuesday. First pitch on Friday is set for 6 p.m., 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, and 11 a.m. on Sunday.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Baseball on social media on Facebook (/UCF.Baseball), Twitter (UCF_Baseball) and Instagram (UCF.Baseball).