Auburn, Ala. – In the first game of a three-game set in Auburn, Ala., the UCF baseball team took down the No. 8 Auburn Tigers 3-1 at Plainsman Park on Friday night. Starting pitcher Colton Gordon set the tone for the game, picking up six of his seven strikeouts in the first three innings.
The Tigers took an early lead in the bottom of the second, striking first with a solo homer from Scheffler. Colton Gordon settled in and fanned seven batters through the rest of his 6.0 innings to hold the Auburn offense off the board.
The Knights answered the Tigers attack in the fourth inning as Tom Josten and Jordan Rathbone teamed up with a double by Josten followed by a Rathbone single to drive in the runner. Nick Romano would drive in Rathbone to give UCF a 2-1 lead before the end of the inning.
The Black and Gold tacked on an insurance run in the top of the sixth thanks to Jordan Rathbone going deep to right field for his second homer of the season. Jeff Hakanson came out of the pen to slam the door on Auburn, striking out one in the eighth and two in the ninth to earn the four-out save and seal the victory for the Knights.
UCF (5-1) – 3, No. 8 Auburn (5-1) – 1
Winning Pitcher: Colton Gordon (2-0)
Losing Pitcher: Tanner Burns (1-1)
Top Pitchers: Colton Gordon (6.0 IP, 7 K, 1 ER), Jeff Hakanson (1.1 IP, 1 SV, 3 K)
Top Hitters: Jordan Rathbone (2-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 R), Tom Josten (1-2, 1 BB, 1 R)
TAMING THE TIGERS
- UCF handed the No. 8 Tigers their first loss of the 2020 season. The Knights pitching staff forced Auburn to leave eight runners stranded on the basepaths.
- Auburn's six hits and lone run were season lows in each category for the top ten team.
- 11 strikeouts from the UCF pitchers are the most against the Auburn offense in 2020.
- UCF's victory was it's first in Auburn, Ala. The Tigers now lead the all-time series 7-3.
- After a scoreless first two innings, the Knights
- The Knights three runs are the most allowed by the Tigers pitching staff.
- Hakanson's 1.1-inning save was his longest appearance of the season, and his second save of the year.
The Knights return to Plainsman Park in Auburn, Ala. to continue the series with the Tigers. First pitch on Saturday is slated for 3 p.m. E.T., and can be streamed on the SEC Network+.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF baseball team is in its fourth season under head coach Greg Lovelady and will welcome seven teams from the 2019 NCAA Tournament to John Euliano Park in 2020. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS