ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – In the opening round of the American Athletic Conference Championship, the UCF women's soccer team decimated the Houston Cougars by a score of 5-0 at the UCF Soccer Complex. The 5-0 score line is the largest margin of victory in post-season play since UCF joined The American in 2013.
The Knights took a 2-0 lead into the half thanks to goals by Ellie Moreno and Darya Rajaee. Dayana Martin scored twice and Jessica Taylor extended the lead to 5-0 before the final whistle blew.
Goals on Goals
- Four Knights accounted for five goals in the first round of the AAC tournament.
- Dayana Martin led the Knights with two goals, and Ellie Moreno, Darya Rajaee and Jessica Taylor each accounted for a single goal.
- For the second time in two games, Ellie Moreno's goal ended up being the game winner. The freshman has now accounted for three game winners this season.
- In net for the Knights, Caroline DeLisle picked up another clean sheet after making three saves. It was her 10th shutout of the 2019 slate.
- 21 of the 22 Knights on the post-season roster saw at least 10 minutes of game time in Sunday's match.
Talkin' with Tiff
The Knights will head to Memphis, Tenn. to continue play in the American Athletic Conference Championship tournament hosted at the University of Memphis. UCF will face a familiar foe in the South Florida Bulls for the second time in a week. The first time the two teams faced this season, UCF walked away with a 1-0 victory at the UCF Soccer Complex.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Women's Soccer on social media on Facebook (/UCFWSoccer), Twitter (@UCF_WSoccer) and Instagram (@UCF.WSoccer)