Dallas, Texas (UCFKnights.com) – In the first of two matches in Texas, the UCF women's soccer team (7-2-2, 2-1-0 AAC) took down the No. 22 SMU Mustangs (7-2-1, 0-1-0 AAC) in their third American Athletic Conference of the 2019 campaign.
Netting her sixth goal of the season, Kristen Scott opened the scoring in the 14th minute of the match to give the Knights the 1-0 lead. The No. 22 Mustangs rallied to score early in the second, equalizing the match in the 53rd minute.
The Black and Gold wasted no time regaining the lead, earning a penalty kick in a little over 30 seconds after SMU equalized. Zandy Soree stepped up to the spot and converted the penalty kick to put the Knights back on top.
- With the victory, the Knights have now won seven of their last eight matches and earned their first victory over a United Soccer Coaches Top 25 team of the 2019 campaign.
- Throughout the match, UCF created more chances on the attack with 13 shots and six corner kicks compared to the Mustangs 11 shots and four corners.
- Zandy Soree and Kristen Scott remain tied at the top of the team-leaderboard with six goals each.
- French international Elise Legrout picked up her third assist of the season on Scott's 14th minute goal.
- Caroline DeLisle made five saves on the match, coming just short of her season-high of six saves in a single game. She now has 32 saves in 1038 minutes played.
Post-match with Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak
Hard to not gain some confidence after that one ?? pic.twitter.com/mhgloGZj2H— UCF Women's Soccer (@UCF_WSoccer) October 4, 2019
The Knights continue the Texas road trip as they travel to American foe, Houston for a Sunday matchup at 2 p.m. ET.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Women's Soccer on social media on Facebook (/UCFWSoccer), Twitter (@UCF_WSoccer) and Instagram (@UCF.WSoccer)