GAINESVILLE, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – For the second year in a row the Knights have shutout the Florida Gators, posting a 2-0 victory Sunday night in Gainesville.
UCF took a 1-0 lead in the first three minutes of the game for the second time in as many matches, but this time it was from the foot of freshman Ally Gudorf – the first of her collegiate career. The Knights took the one score lead into halftime.
Despite losing the possession battle and taking fewer shots than the Gators, Kristen Scott sealed the W for the Knights in the 85th minute, scoring the second goal of the match with the help of senior Zandy Soree.
Downing the Gators
- The UCF defense absorbed seven shots from the Florida attack, Caroline DeLisle saved the one shot on goal from the Gators.
- DeLisle earned her first clean sheet of her collegiate career.
- In the second game in a row, the Knights took a 1-0 lead in the first three minutes of the match.
- Kristen Scott leads the Knights with two goals scored through four games.
History with Florida
- The Knights win on Sunday is the fifth win in the all-time series with the Gators, who are receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll.
- With the 2-0 victory, the Knights shut out Florida for the fourth time in the history of the two programs.
Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak praised the fight in her team after the match, "It feels amazing to get the first W this year. I think we've played well all season long. I think the final piece is just finally getting the result so I'm just really proud of the girls because they fought through such a hard match. UF had the ball a lot tonight, we defended a lot and we still came out with the win. Just really proud because we played with a lot of guts tonight."
UCF returns to the UCF Soccer Complex to host Arizona State on Thursday, Sept. 12 at 6 p.m. for the Knight of the 63rd – a celebration of the supporter section, "The 63rd".
The Knights will continue the home stand to host Stetson University for "Have a Ball" night. Fans are encouraged to bring a ball to donate at the match to Children Beyond Our Borders. Fans who donate will receive one free match ticket for every ball donated.
More information about Children Beyond Our Borders can be found HERE.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF women's soccer team is in its seventh season under head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.