ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF baseball team will turn to American Athletic Conference play this weekend with a trip to No. 14 ECU. Game times are set for 6:30 p.m. on Friday, 4 p.m. on Saturday and noon on Sunday.
Friday night’s contest will be streamed on the American Digital Network. To watch, click here.
The Knights improved to 15-6 with their third win over a ranked opponent on Tuesday. The Black and Gold posted a six-run fifth inning to edge No. 14 Florida State in Tallahassee, 9-7. Jaylyn Whitehead tossed two scoreless innings with a career-high four strikeouts, while Kyle Kemp closed things out with a pair of punchouts. Tyler Osik and Matthew Mika teamed up for four hits, five RBI and three runs in the win.
The weekend rotation will remain untouched for the third straight week. Chris Williams, Grant Schuermann and Trevor Holloway combined for 36 strikeouts with just five walks over the last two weekends, while posting a 3.82 ERA. The starters were 3-1 in six games against Penn State and VCU.
Kyle Kemp continues to be one of the top arms out of the bullpen for the Knights. The Graduate transfer has fanned 22 batters over 13 innings this season with an ERA nicely settled at 0.69. Opponents are hitting just .049 off him with two hits.
THE WEEKEND ROTATION
• Williams is back on the bump for Friday night. The righty has issued just one free pass in 17 innings of work.
• Schuermann went seven innings with six strikeouts last weekend against VCU.
• Holloway leads the pitching staff with 29 strikeouts and a 1.37 ERA.
• The Knights are tied with the Pirates for the top record in The American heading into the opening weekend of league play.
• Outfielder Bryant Packard was named the league’s Preseason Player of the Year and is among six Pirates hitting over .300 this season.
• The major news regarding ECU Baseball came last Sunday against Maryland as Jake Kuchmaner tossed a perfect game.
GAME 1 - Friday, 6:30 PM
Chris Williams, RHP (2-1, 4.76) vs. TBA
GAME 2 - Saturday 4 PM
Grant Schuermann, LHP, (1-0, 2.17 ERA) vs. TBA
GAME 3 – Sunday Noon
Trevor Holloway, RHP (2-0, 1.37 ERA) vs. TBA
• ECU leads the all-time series 34-14.
• The Knights will hit the road for a weekend series for the first time all season.
• UCF is 3-2 against ranked opposition this season and 19-23 in the Greg Lovelady era.
• Tyler Osik is on a career-long eight-game hitting streak and a 19-game on-base streak.
• The Knights have climbed up to 14th in the nation with 10.5 strikeouts per game
• Matthew Mika, Ray Alejo and Osik are 1-2-3 in The American with 12, 8 and 7, respectively.
• Dallas Beaver leads the team with 23 RBI, just five away from his career-high in a season.
• Osik has thrived on the road with five RBI and a .556 clip at the plate during road swings.
• The Knights have converted seven of their first nine save opportunities
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Baseball on social media on Facebook (/UCF.Baseball), Twitter (UCF_Baseball) and Instagram (UCF.Baseball).