ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF women’s soccer team returns to the UCF Soccer Complex for an American Athletic Conference matchup against ECU on Thursday evening.
UCF (5-3-1, 2-0 The American) and ECU (6-4-2, 1-3 The American) are slated for a 7 p.m. start.
The Knights will also celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month by hosting Noche Latina. The concession stand will have Cuban sandwiches, nachos and chips and salsa for purchase.
- UCF swept its opening weekend of league play with a 2-1 win at Temple and a 5-3 victory at UConn last weekend.
- Stefanie Sanders’ second hat trick of the season pushed the sophomore into the top scoring spot for the Knights in 2018. She has seven goals and 17 points on the season.
- Zandy Soree is second for the Knights with six goals and 14 total points on the season.
- After recording three assists, Dina Orschmann connected on her first goal of the season in the win at UConn.
- Kristen Scott has three goals in 2018, while Konya Plummer tallied her first goal as a Knight in the draw at Maryland and Jessica Taylor notched her first marker at Temple.
- Vera Varis has started each match for the Knights, making 29 saves with a 1.33 goals-against average in 2018.
Hats Off To Stef
- Stefanie Sanders became just the fourth NCAA Division I women’s soccer player to record a pair of hat tricks this season after scoring three goals in UCF’s 5-3 win at UConn on Sept. 30.
- Her seven points on the opening weekend led to The American Offensive Player of the Year honors for the first time in her career.
- The Hamburg, Germany native is the sixth Knight to record multiple hat tricks in a season but is the first since 1991 (Kelly Kochevar) to do so in a three-game span.
- UCF is the only Division I team in the country with a male and female soccer player with multiple hat tricks this season. Cal Jennings from UCF Men’s Soccer also has two hat tricks in 2018.
Scouting the Pirates
- ECU brings a 6-4-2 overall record and a 1-3 mark in The American to Orlando after topping SMU 2-1 in Greenville.
- The Knights lead the all-time series, 11-2-2, and are 3-1 against the Pirates in The American.
- Jenna Dages and Courtney Cash each have five goals on the season to lead the Pirates.
- In all, 12 different Pirates have combined for ECU’s 24 goals in 2018.
- Melanie Stiles has appeared in all 12 of ECU’s contests, with 46 saves and a 1.21 goals against average this season.
The Knights continue home action on Sunday, welcoming Cincinnati for a 1 p.m. match at the UCF Soccer Complex.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF women's soccer team is set for its sixth season under head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak and will welcome five teams from the 2017 NCAA Tournament to the UCF Soccer Complex in 2018. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.