ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – A share of the 2018 American Athletic Conference regular season title, the right to host The American Tournament and six War on I-4 points are on the line in Friday’s soccer match between UCF and USF in Tampa.
The Knights (9-5-1, 6-2 The American) travel to Corbett Stadium to face the No. 14/18 Bulls (12-2, 7-1 The American) at 7 p.m.
The match will stream for free on the American Digital Network.
- A victory for UCF on Friday would give the Knights a share of the 2018 regular season title and the top seed and hosting rights to The American tournament next week.
- A header in the 59th minute against Houston pushed Stefanie Sanders to six game-winning goals this season, which is tied for the second-most in single season at UCF. Her 12 goals on the season put her just outside of the single season top 10 for the Knights.
- A pair of markers from Dina Orschmann in the win over the Cougars pushed the sophomore into third on the UCF squad in scoring. She now has a trio of goals to go along with three assists for nine points.
- Nine different Knights have netted a goal in 2018, while 12 different members of the squad have tallied at least one point.
- Two-time Goalkeeper of the Week, Vera Varis has started each match for the Knights, making 44 saves with a 1.13 goals-against average in 2018.
- Varis moved into fourth all-time at UCF with 221 career saves and is sixth on the career list with 20 shutouts.
War on I-4
- Friday’s matchup will serve as the War on I-4 meeting between the two squads, with six points on the line. The winner of the contest will claim all six points; a draw splits the points evenly with each team collecting three.
- UCF currently holds a 15-0 lead in the 2018-19 edition of the rivalry series with wins from volleyball and men’s soccer and a higher finish at The American Cross Country Championship.
- On the pitch, UCF leads the all-time series against South Florida 10-2-4.
- As members of The American, the series is 1-1-4, with the last three matchups ending in a draw.
Scouting the Bulls
- South Florida holds a 12-2 overall record, with a 7-1 mark in The American.
- The Bulls are undefeated at Corbett Stadium this season, with an 8-0 mark at home.
- Evelyne Viens leads the USF offense with 17 goals and five assists this season for 39 points.
- Twelve Bulls have combined for 45 goals this season, while USF has held its opponents to 11 goals in 2018.
- Sydney Martinez has played in 13 matches for USF, allowing 10 goals for a 0.83 goals-against average this season.
Friday’s match will determine the location of the 2018 American Athletic Conference Championship, as the top seed will host the six-team field Oct. 31-Nov. 4.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF women's soccer team in its sixth season under head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.