HOUSTON, Texas (UCFKnights.com) - Four goals in the first half led the No. 10 UCF women's soccer team to a 4-0 victory over Houston in an American Athletic Conference contest at Carl Lewis International Complex on Thursday evening.
"The message to the team for this game was to keep on improving," UCF head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak said. "We've been doing well; we're on a little bit of a roll, but we never want to get complacent. The goal today was can we get better - individually and as a team. Coming out and scoring four goals is exactly what we wanted to do. I'm really proud of the team for hanging in there and getting another shutout."
UCF (8-1-1, 4-0-1 The American) extended its unbeaten streak to nine games with the win. The Knights also recorded their fourth straight contest with four or more goals.
The defense is dominant.
- The UCF defense recorded its fifth shutout of the season on Thursday evening.
- Goalkeeper Vera Varis has not allowed a goal in league play, and has not conceded a marker since Aug. 25.
- The junior entered the match ranked fifth in the nation with a 0.34 goals against average and saw that number drop to 0.29 after tonight's contest.
- The Knights have not allowed more than one goal in a match since the season opener at then-No. 4 South Carolina.
The Knights scored early and often.
- Senior Morgan Ferrara opened the scoring in the ninth minute, sending a pass from freshman Dina Orschmann into the net to put the Knights up 1-0.
- Senior Kayla Adamek doubled the UCF lead in the 13th minute, and Orschmann collected her second assist of the match to make it a 2-0 advantage.
- The third goal of the contest came off a corner kick, as sophomore Zandy Soree sent a pass toward the net and Ferrara used her heel to send the ball inside in the 20th minute.
- Adamek made it a 4-0 game as she put herself in position to get the rebound off Ferrara's shot in the 25th minute.
- UCF's four goals were a season-high in the first half. The previous best was three markers at ECU on Sept. 24.
- In the last seven days (vs. Tulsa, Sept. 28), UCF has outscored its opponents 15-1.
- The Knights have now scored 19 goals over the last four games.
The streak continues.
- UCF's unbeaten streak is at nine matches.
- The Knights have not lost since the season opener on Aug. 18.
- The streak is UCF's longest since 2014 when the Knights won 10 in a row.
The Knights head to Dallas to take on SMU on Sunday.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF women's soccer team is set for its fifth season under head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak and will welcome six teams from the 2016 NCAA Tournament to the UCF Soccer Complex in 2017. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.
BECOME A PART OF THE WATCH
Membership to Knights Watch, the official supporters group of UCF Soccer, begins at $15 for students and $50 for fans. Packages include tickets to all home contests for men's and women's soccer, a Knights Watch T-Shirt, a soccer scarf and a variety of free catered tailgates. To become a member, click here.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.