ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) -- Win No. 1 is in the books.
The UCF women's basketball team treated fans to an 89-72 win over FIU in its home opener on Tuesday night, picking up its first win of the new season.
Related: Box Score
Junior guard Zykira Lewis led five Knights in double figures with a game-high 19 points in addition to her game-high six steals, five assists and five rebounds.
"It never gets old to win," UCF head coach Joi Williams said. "A lot of heart (tonight). We talked about, after that Omaha game, just leaving that in Omaha and coming out and give a great effort tonight, and good things will happen if you play hard. I thought we did that."
The last time UCF reached at least 80 points in a game was exactly a year ago to the day, also in the team's second game of the season.
• Five Knights scored in double figures thanks to some solid shooting performances. Each of the five generated at least 50 percent from the field for the night.
• Lewis led the way with 19 points and was followed closely by Aliyah Gregory's 17 points off a 7-of-10 outing.
• Forward Joslyn Massey netted a career high 13 points.
• Freshman guard Ashley Polacek netted her second straight game of double digits with 11 points in addition to her game-high six assists.
• Sophomore Fifi Ndour rounded out the group with 10 points. At 4-of-5 from the field, she did not miss a shot until 2:54 left in the game.
Big Third Quarter
• UCF put itself in position to lock up the game when they pulled away from FIU in the third quarter on a 22-5 run.
• The Knights prevented the Panthers from scoring for more than seven minutes and forced seven turnovers in the period.
• "When we started the second half we changed our defense a little bit and went to a half-court trap and did a good job in it. I think that caused them a little trouble and we were able to capitalize on some of their turnovers.
• UCF is back on the Blacktop again Friday at 7 p.m. when Florida A&M comes to town. The two teams will meet for the first time since 2011.
• The Knights have won the last six meetings.
• The first 50 students in addition to the first 50 fans will receive November's Knightro bobblehead.
Story by Jenna Marina; Photos by Brad Helton; Video by Rachel White