COLUMBIA, S.C. (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF men’s basketball team’s historic 2018-19 season has come to a close. The Knights fought heroically against the number one team in the nation Sunday evening, but ultimately fell in the final moments, 77-76, to Duke in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament.
- The Knights earned their first NCAA Tournament win in program history on Friday, defeating VCU 73-58.
- With loss to Duke, the Knights are now 1-5 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
- This is UCF’s first NCAA Tournament since 2005 and the program’s first at-large berth.
- At nine, it is the highest the Knights have ever been seeded, previously seeded as high as 14 in 2004.
- Tacko Fall scored the first two points of the game, as the Knights sprinted out to a 10-6 lead early in the first half.
- Duke used an 8-0 and a 10-0 run in the first half to regain the advantage and lead 44-36 at halftime.
- UCF scored the first seven points of the second half to get back within one point, at 44-43 just over two minutes in.
- The Blue Devils were never able to get their lead to double digits, extending it to as many as eight in the second half, before the Knights fought back.
- UCF scored six straight points to regain the lead 70-68 on a three-pointer by BJ Taylor with 3:56 left in the game.
- The Knights led by four after back-to-back buckets from Aubrey Dawkins and Fall with 2:08 to play
- Duke outscored UCF 7-2 in the final 1:43 and the Knights’ last second shot rolled around the rim and out as the buzzer sounded.
- The Knights outshot the Blue Devils from the field (48%-45%) from three-point range (50%-40%) and from the free throw line (75%-58%).
- The rebound battle was nearly even, but Duke took advantage of 13 offensive boards, leading to a 15-6 lead in second chance points.
- There were 13 lead changes and seven ties in the game.
- The Knights led for 14:39 of the game, while the Blue Devils led for 21:14.
- UCF won 24 games this season, just one victory away from the program’s Division I record for victories in a season, set in 2003-04.
- The 24 wins match a best for UCF under Johnny Dawkins, also winning 24 games in 2016-17.
- The Knights dropped their first neutral site game of the year, falling to 4-1.
- It was the first time this season that UCF lost after leading the game with two minutes to go, finishing the year 23-1.
- Aubrey Dawkins was unbelievable, finishing with 32 points on 12-of-18 shooting, 5-of-7 from three-point range and 3-of-3 from the stripe.
- BJ Taylor and Tacko Fall also finished in double figures, scoring 15 points each.
- Taylor was 9-of-10 from the free throw line, adding to his program record for single-season free throws (187).
- He also became the first Knight to average 15 or more points in three straight seasons.
- Fall went 7-of-10 from the floor with six rebounds and three blocked shots.
- He finished with 280 blocks in his career, which is a program record.
- Fall also set a new NCAA Division I record for career field goal percentage.