April 8, 2014
By Andrew Jennette
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - Fresh off a big series victory over in-state rival USF, the UCF baseball team returns home on Wednesday when it battles No. 20 Miami at 6:30 p.m. from the UCF Baseball Complex.
Wednesday night's in-state showdown can be heard on the airwaves in Central Florida on AM 740 The Game. Marc Daniels will be on the call with pregame beginning at 6:15 p.m.
The matchup with the Hurricanes also will serve as UCF's Pink in the Park game. The first 250 fans in attendance will receive pink shirts to promote breast cancer awareness. To purchase individual game tickets click here: http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1208324?brand=ucf
The Hurricanes come into the contest riding an eight-game winning streak with a 21-12 record overall. The Knights defeated Miami, 9-2, in their first meeting this season on March 18 in Coral Gables. Since then, both teams have been on fire with the Canes winning 10 of their last 12 and the Knights taking down 11 of 12.
On the mound for the Knights (20-13) will be sophomore RHP Ryan Meyer (2-0, 2.50 ERA). The Oviedo native will make his second-consecutive midweek start. He will be opposed by senior RHP Javi Salas (2-3, 3.86 ERA) who tossed a perfect game on March 4 against Villanova.
After the series victory last weekend over South Florida, the Black and Gold swept the weekly American Athletic Conference awards for the second time this season. Thanks to their strong performances on the road against USF, junior Eric Skoglund was recognized as the Pitcher of the Week while junior Tommy Williams was Player of the Week.
Trending Topics: @UCF_Baseball
* This is the 33rd all-time meeting between UCF & Miami, with the Knights looking for their second win over the Canes this season #TheRematch
* The Knights sit on top of The American standings and are 8-1 in league play, 2.5 games ahead of second place #KingofTheCastle
* UCF recently had the nation's longest winning streak of 10 games and has won 13 of its last 15 games #StartingToComeTogetherPepper
* Zach Rodgers earned both a save and victory at USF and now has 4 wins and 3 saves working a starter and reliever #BeastOfTheWeek
* CF Derrick Salberg is second in The American with a .364 batting average and the Knights are 19-6 when he starts #EnFuego
* SS Tommy Williams currently leads The American and ranks fourth in the nation with nine home runs #PowerSurge
* 2B Dylan Moore currently leads The American with 46 hits and has racked up a team-best 17 multi-hit games this season #StartsAtTheTop
* OF Erik Barber leads the team with 29 RBIs after recording just 9 RBIs the first two years of his career #ComingIntoHisOwn
* Wednesday's game will serve as the annual Pink in the Park with the first 250 fans in attendance receiving pink shirts #RealMenWearPink
* Freshman Trent Thompson leads the team with 18 appearances and four saves #ClosingTime