March 4, 2013
By Eric DeSalvo
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF baseball team embarks on its second-straight five-game week beginning Tuesday when it hosts North Florida at 6:30 p.m., followed by a trip to Coral Gables to face No. 24 Miami on Wednesday at 6.
The Knights (7-4) and Ospreys (9-3) will be meeting on the diamond for the first time since 2010 when the two schools split the home-and-home series. When UCF heads south to take on the Hurricanes (10-2), it will be looking for its third win in its last four visits during the regular season at Alex Rodriguez Park.
Tuesday night's matchup is also "Dollar Knight" at the ballpark where fans can enjoy $1 hot dogs and Coke products all game long.
UCF will look to even the all-time series with UNF at 7-all when sophomore lefty Eric Skoglund takes the mound. The 2012 Louisville Freshman All-American is still in search of his first win this season. He will be opposed by RHP Michael Renner who owns a 1-0 record and 1.29 ERA in three relief appearances.
Last year in Coral Gables, the Knights used six pitchers and received timely hits in the 4-1 win over the Hurricanes. UCF is no stranger to Alex Rodriguez Park as it advanced to the Coral Gables Regional Championship last June.
The Knights are coming off their first weekend sweep of the season after they hit over .300 in the series against Winthrop. Two of the three victories came in dramatic fashion as Erik Hempe broke open a scoreless game in the eighth inning on Friday night, followed by a walk-off single Sunday afternoon in the ninth inning to complete a six-run comeback.
Trending Topics: @UCF_Baseball
* #UCF finished off its first weekend sweep of 2013 against Winthrop in the first meeting between the two schools #BustOutTheBrooms
* At home in March, UCF is now 37-23 under @HCTerryRooney, including 25-7 over the past three seasons #MoreThanLuck
* The Knights currently sit atop @ConferenceUSA1 in 8 major offensive categories #EyeOnTheBall
* With 214 career-hits, 3B Chris Taladay is just 11 base-knocks from cracking the all-time top 10 at UCF #ClutchIsHisName
* RHP Ben Lively improved to 7-0 since April 20, 2012 after eight innings of shutout ball against Winthrop #YeahHeIsGood
* In that timespan for Lively, he owns a 1.47 ERA in 55.2 innings of work with 48 strikeouts #StinkyCheese
* After 6 HRs in 2011 and 4 HRs in 2012 at the 11-game mark, the Knights have hit 11 out of the park so far in 2013 #PreGameSpinach
* The bullpen last weekend featured five pitchers that tossed 13.2 innings and gave up just 2 ER and 4 BB while striking out 18 #WinTheLast3
Season tickets can be purchased by calling 407-UCF-1000 or visit the baseball tickets page. Stay up-to-date on all the latest news by visiting UCFAthletics.com and following the team on Twitter (@UCF_Baseball) and Facebook.