Cre Finfrock picked up his second win on the campaign.
In the ninth inning, Cornell had the game-tying run at second base after cutting its deficit to 4-3 on a single and two errors. The next batter popped out in front of the plate to catcher Anthony George, who alertly threw the ball to first base to beat the runner back for a key double play. Junior Trent Thompson then notched a groundout for his first save of the season.
"I am proud in the way that we held on there," head coach Terry Rooney said. "We showed a lot of poise and composure there late and that is the quality of a good team -- you don't panic. I think our guys have done that throughout the entire year."
An RBI triple in the first inning was registered by junior Eli Putnam, who drove in his second run two innings later on a catcher's interference with the bases loaded.
The game was interrupted for 23 minutes during the bottom of the eighth inning when the half the lights cut out. The Jammin' Knights (UCF Band) were on hand to provide the crowd with a unique atmosphere through the delay and entire game.
The Saturday contest against the Big Red has been moved up to 11 a.m. and features Pink at the Park with 200 tank tops being given away. The series finale is set for 1 p.m.
Back in the Win Column
- Cre Finfrock posted his fifth-straight quality start, but earned just his second win during the stretch.
- The Jensen Beach, Fla., native went seven innings and struck out four, while only giving up one earned run.
- Finfrock moved to 2-1 on the campaign.
"I did not have my best stuff tonight, so I put the ball in the middle and let the defense do their work. The offense put some runs together to get the win."
-RHP Cre Finfrock
Crossing the Plate
- The Knights put together a two-out rally in the first frame with a walk drawn by Austin Griffin and RBI triple delivered by Eli Putnam.
- UCF plated a pair of runs in the third inning after loading the bases with two walks and a single.
- Putnam earned his second RBI of the contest by reaching on a catcher's interference.
- A sac fly was notched by Eugene Vazquez to up the Knights lead to 3-0
- After loading the bases on a single, walk and hit batter in the seventh inning, Luke Hamblin put UCF up 4-1.
"One thing that we went over collectively as a group was to scrap a lot with two strikes and find ways to put balls in play or draw walks. When you do that, then you are going to create offense."
-OF Eli Putnam
Noting the Big Red
- Frankie Padulo, Tommy Wagner and Dale Wickham each recorded two hits to lead the Big Red.
- The loss was given to Paul Balestrieri (0-3), who went six innings and struck out one.
- Adam Saks and Michael Byrne also pitched one frame for Cornell.