Robby Howell pitched into the eighth inning during a 5-2 victory over LIU Brooklyn on Saturday at the UCF Baseball Complex. A four-run fourth frame was highlighted by a solo homer by junior Austin Griffin and a three-run round tripper by freshman Anthony George.
The third win of the campaign was recorded by Howell (3-0), who tossed 7 1/3 innings and struck out five. He had his scoreless inning streak to start the season snapped after 24.1 frames.
"We pride ourselves on pitching and playing great defense," Howell said. "My adjustment this season has been that I am splitting pitches a lot better. My tempo is a little faster and I am staying down with all of my pitches."
Multi-hit games for the Knights (9-7) were tallied by juniors Eli Putnam and Luke Hamblin against the Blackbirds (3-8). An RBI double was delivered by senior Sam Tolleson to cap the scoring in the eighth frame for UCF.
Due to the threat of inclement weather, the finale between the Knights and Blackbirds has been moved up to 10 a.m. Sunday.
No. 5 Miami comes to the UCF Baseball Complex on Wednesday with the first pitch set for 6:30 p.m. Fans are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance by clicking here.
- Junior Austin Griffin and freshman Anthony George blasted home runs in the Knights' four-run second inning.
- Griffin led off the frame with a solo shot to left, 1-0.
- The first pitch to George was deposited over the fence in left for a three-run shot. It was his first round tripper as a Knight.
- Singles before the second homer of the inning were notched by Eli Putnam and Kam Gellinger.
"We talked about it today as a team that we need to put ourselves in position to get some more crooked numbers. We did today with some home runs and doubles. There are going to be times that you have to bunt, but I don't like giving up outs, which is a part of my philosophy."
-HC Terry Rooney
Shutout Streak Snapped
- Robby Howell had his shutout streak to start the season snapped after 24.1 innings during the sixth frame vs. the Blackbirds.
- Howell logged 7 1/3 frames and recorded five strikeouts, while only allowing five hits and one run.
- The Fort White, Fla., native notched punchouts to end the second, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh innings.
- This was the third time this season that Howell registered a quality start.
"Robby threw a great game and was locating his pitches very well. His curveball, slider and change up were really good and unhittable at times."
-C Anthony George
- Anthony George caught three Blackbirds attempting to steal a bag.
- He gunned down his first would-be base stealer at second in the seventh inning and added two in the eighth frame.
- The Oviedo, Fla., native notched the second out in the eighth inning following a wild pitch as the aggressive runner that was attempting to move from first to third was tagged out. He ended the frame with a dart thrown to second base.
"We do a lot of throw downs and blocking drills every day in practice. They get me ready for the game and those pickoffs become second nature."
-C Anthony George
"George has done a great job behind the plate. He is a freshman in our program and comes from one of the best programs in the state of Florida in Hagerty, right down the street. He has been well coached on how the game should be played. He is a great player and has done a great job for us."
-HC Terry Rooney
Noting the Blackbirds
- Kyle Ruth recorded a game-high three hits, while Dom Paiotti added a pair of base knocks.
- Five innings were tossed by the starter Baylor LaPoint, who recorded four strikeouts.
- William Jackson pitches three innings of relief and added four punchouts.