ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com)--The UCF Volleyball team downed Stetson 3-0 (25-19, 25-17, 25-17) in the championship match of the Holiday Inn Orlando East UCF Area Invitational on Saturday evening.
"It was a very successful weekend for us," said head coach Todd Dagenais. "To come in and win all three matches and win your home tournament, that is important."
The Knights came out swinging in the first set and after the first 12 points, never allowed the Hatters to come within three. UCF finished the first set hitting .560 as a team with 17 kills. The Knights continued their ways into the second set, starting with a 13-4 run to begin. In the second, UCF swung .393 with only three hitting errors. The Knights opened the third set with a 7-1 run, before ending the match on a seven-point unanswered run.
The Kia to Success
- Kia Bright continued her ways with match-high 13 kills, hitting .565 on the match with no errors.
- The redshirt junior finished with at least 16 points for the third consecutive match.
- "I feel that this really just showed us how to persevere through the tough times," said Bright. "Even being pushed early on, playing teams that weren't ourselves, showed us our strengths as well as weaknesses and I think we adjusted really well."
- Jale Hervey, Bright, Jeanne Westney, Taylor Wickey, Ann Richards and Taylor Gallart all recorded 3 or more kills.
- Bright and Richards were named to the All-Tournament Team, as well as Hervey who was named Tournament MVP.
- The Knights are averaged 14.5 kills per set in their first four matches.
- The Knights head to Carbondale, Illi., to take part in the Southern Illinois Invitational.
- On Sept. 2, UCF will take the court against Southern Illinois at 8 p.m. ET/ 7 p.m. CT.
- Before facing Northern Arizona and Western Michigan the following day.