ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – And just like that, it’s over. The 2018 summer league season has come to a close for the UCF baseball team. As the players start to make their returns to Orlando, take a look at where the Knights ended up and some of their final stat lines.
Jack Sinclair and Jeffrey Hakanson finished the summer atop the Expedition League with the Western Nebraska Pioneers. Sinclair went six innings with a trio of punchouts and two runs to punch the Pioneers’ ticket to the championship series last week. The lanky righty finished the summer with a perfect 6-0 record and a 3.65 ERA in 51 2/3 innings of work, including 40 strikeouts. As the Expedition League leader in saves, it was only fitting that Hakanson closed out the final game of the year with a strikeout. The rising sophomore dealt 53 punchouts in just 23 1/3 innings this summer and finished with a 0.38 ERA with 10 saves.
Ray Alejo took the Brewster Whitecaps within a game of the championship series of the Cape Cod League. The UCF centerfielder drove in a trio of runs in four playoff games. Alejo finished the summer with a .260 batting average, 14 RBI, three home runs and nine stolen bases.
Dallas Beaver earned a spot on the Northwoods League Postseason All-Star Team. The catcher posted a .302 batting average on the summer with 30 RBI and four home runs. Beaver finished the year with 21 hits in his final 15 games.
• Luis Ferrer (Lakeshore Chinooks) – Tossed 17 1/3 innings with 21 strikeouts for a 1.03 ERA.
• Brandon Hernandez (Staunton Braves) – Finished the summer with a .313 clip at the plate and 17 runs driven in, along with three home runs.
• Dalton Wingo (Waynesboro Generals) – Capped first season of summer ball with nine RBI in 31 games on a .236 batting average.
• Anthony George (Seminole County Scorpions) – Posted a .298 mark at the dish this summer, eighth best in the league, and drove in seven RBI with 18 walks over 31 games.
• Adams Torres (Winter Garden Squeeze) – Brought in 15 runs in 34 games this summer and pelted a trio of homers.
• Tyler Osik (Winter Park Diamond Dawgs) – Notched a .270 average at the dish with 10 RBI and two home runs in 22 games. Fell in the championship series.
• Chandler Robertson (Winter Park Diamond Dawgs) – Finished as a .301 hitter with 12 RBI and seven doubles in 28 games.
GREAT LAKES LEAGUE
• Griffin Bernardo (Cincinnati Steam) - Was a .378 hitter this summer with an impressive 44 RBI, seven homers, and 21 walks.
• Jaylyn Whitehead (Cincinnati Steam) – Recorded 23 strikeouts in just 27 1/3 innings of work and a 2.30 ERA.
WEST COAST LEAGUE
Garrett Westberg (Port Angeles Lefties) – Appeared in six games, making five starts. Tossed 26 innings and struck out 24 batters for an ERA of 4.84 and a record of 2-1.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Baseball on social media on Facebook (/UCF.Baseball), Twitter (UCF_Baseball) and Instagram (UCF.Baseball).