ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – As the summer leagues move beyond the halfway point of the season, the UCF baseball team has players leading their teams across the country. Here's how they have fared over the last two weeks.
Brody Wofford was named to the Northwoods League All-Star Game and earned a spot in the Home Run Derby on July 24. The rising senior is sixth in the league with eight home runs this season. Wofford is hitting .307 with 33 RBI, as well as a .410 on-base percentage.
Jeffrey Hakanson continues to be one of the top hurlers in the Expedition League. The northpaw made a trio of appearances over the last two weeks without surrendering a run to take his shutout streak to nine innings. Hakanson has an 0.60 ERA and seven saves to go along with 33 punchouts in 15 innings this summer.
Jaylyn Whitehead and Griffin Bernardo both made appearances in the Great Lakes League All-Star Game last week, where Bernardo went 1-for-3 with a run scored, and Whitehead tossed a scoreless frame with two strikeouts. Bernardo has a .375 batting average in 35 games with 39 RBI and six home runs. Whitehead is 4-0 with a 2.39 ERA and 21 strikeouts over 26 1/3 innings this summer.
Adams Torres had a busy two weeks in the Florida League. The infielder represented the West All-Stars with a 2-for-4 performance, including a double, before playing in two games with in the 2018 Prospect Showcase, in which he went 2-for-4 with two runs, a double and a solo home run against the Ripken League. Torres has a .280 clip at the plate for the Winter Garden Squeeze with 15 RBI.
Anthony George has had of the most consistent bats for the Seminole County Scorpions in the last two weeks. The redshirt junior recorded 15 hits in 10 games and added seven RBI. George is hitting .284 this summer with one home run and a pair of doubles.
In the Valley League, Brandon Hernandez has a .327 batting average in 29 games for the Staunton Braves. The infielder has brought in 15 runs this summer along with three home runs. Hernandez has 10 multi-hit games including a 4-for-7 performance against the New Market Rebels on July 22.
CAPE COD LEAGUE
- Ray Alejo (Brewster Whitecaps) – Went 8-for-33 (.242) at the plate with five RBI over the last two weeks. Has a .269 clip through 24 games in The Cape this season.
- Chandler Robertson (Winter Park Diamond Dawgs) – Picked up a hit in nine of last 10 games. Hitting .333 through 15 games with nine RBI on the summer.
- Tyler Osik (Winter Park Diamond Dawgs) – Joined Winter Park on July 10. Has a trio of multi-hit outings through nine games.
- Dallas Beaver (Lakeshore Chinooks) – Was named the Northwoods League Player of the Night after a 4-for-4 outing with four doubles and two RBI on July 19. Hitting .285 in 39 games for the Chinooks.
- Luis Ferrer (Lakeshore Chinooks) – Made one appearance out of the bullpen in the last two weeks, a three-inning outing against Fond du Lac on July 19 with two strikeouts. Has fanned 21 batters in 17 1/3 innings.
- Dalton Wingo (Waynesboro Generals) – Played in the Valley All-Star Game on July 8. Hitting .236 with nine RBI and two homers through 31 games this summer.
- Jeffrey Hakanson (Western Nebraska Pioneers) – Made two starts over the last two weeks and went 1-0, including a quality start that ended in a no-decision. Tossed 36 2/3 innings this summer with 33 strikeouts and a 3.92 ERA. Also picked up a base knock as a pinch hitter on July 17.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Baseball on social media on Facebook (/UCF.Baseball), Twitter (UCF_Baseball) and Instagram (UCF.Baseball).