MEMPHIS (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team wrapped up the regular season Sunday afternoon sweeping Memphis after winning both games in the doubleheader. The Knights took game one, 5-1 the followed up with a 3-2 win to secure the sweep.
Takiya London delivered the go-ahead home run in the top of the seventh in game two to give the Knights the win to close out the regular season.
UCF will enter the American Tournament with a 34-20 overall record and 11-10 in conference play.
Things You Need to Know
- In the first game, Karissa Ornelas and Cassady Brewer accounted for all five of UCF’s RBI. Ornelas had three and Brewer tallied two.
- London went 2-for-3 with two RBI and one run scored on the day.
- Denali Schappacher tallied two hits, two runs scored, and two stolen bases in both wins.
- Four Knights grabbed at least two hits Sunday, while seven recorded at least one hit.
- Brewer led the Knights offensively in game one going 2-for-2 with a pair of walks and brought in two runs.
- Vasquez tossed a complete game to start the day collecting eight strikeouts, three hits, and just one earned run. The rookie ends the regular season with an 11-7 overall record and a 2-4 in The American.
- White improves to 23-13 overall and 9-6 in The American after throwing a complete game striking out eight Tigers and giving up seven hit.
- As a pitching staff, White and Vasquez did not allow a walk in either game and together they struck out 16 and kept Memphis to a .208 batting average.
- Erin Emanuel recorded a hit in each game finishing with two hits, one RBI, and one run scored.
- The Knights totaled 11 hits on the day and eight runs.
- On the day, UCF went 4-for-5 in stolen bases as they continue to lead the conference in stolen bases per game.
- The series win over Memphis is the Knights’ eighth straight series win over the Tigers. UCF has not lost a series with Memphis since 2011.
- UCF won and swept three series in The American this season taking wins against UConn, ECU, and Memphis.
- On the weekend, the UCF defense allowed just four runs in three games.
UCF: 1-0 | 1st | Damaria Cannon and Cassady Brewer each walked to start the game and Jazmine Esparza singled to left to load the bases. Karissa Ornelas hit a sac fly to left field to plate Cannon.
UCF: 5-0 | 4th | Denali Schappacher led the inning off with a single and Aubrey Johnson moved Schappacher over with a sacrifice bunt. Erin Emanuel reached on an error by the shortstop and Cannon reached on a fielder’s choice. With Kendyl Lange coming in to run for Cannon, Emanuel and Lange moved into scoring position off a wild pitch. Brewer singled to right center to score both Emanuel and Lange. Esparza took first base after being hit by a pitch and with runners on first and second, Ornelas doubled to center and scored both runs.
MEM: 5-1 | 6th | A double and a triple put the Tigers up on the board.
MEM: 1-0 | 2nd | Nichols homered to left center.
MEM: 2-0 | 3rd | A leadoff double to left center and a single to center doubled the Tigers’ lead.
UCF: 2-1 | 5th | Brooke Barlow singled to the right side and Takiya London followed with a single to the left side. Emanuel singled to right field to plate one run.
UCF: 3-2 | 7th | Schappacher reached on an infield single and London delivered a two-run home run to left center.
The Knights will be the No. 5 seed in The American Tournament, which will begin Thursday, May 9 in Houston. UCF will take on the No. 4 seed Wichita State at 1:30 p.m. ET Thursday.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).