MEMPHIS (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team began their final regular season American Athletic Conference series with a win against Memphis, 5-1 Friday afternoon.
Alea White tossed her 24th complete game and fifth shutout of the season and earned her 22nd win of the season to improve to 22-13 overall and 8-6 in The American.
Cassady Brewer homered in the third inning to get the Knights on the board first and the scoring never slowed down.
The Knights improve to 32-20 overall and 9-10 in The American, while Memphis drops to 22-30 overall and 3-15 in conference play.
Things You Need to Know
- Brewer’s home run puts her tied for seventh all-time in program history with 16 home runs.
- The first five hitters in the UCF lineup went 6-for-14 with four runs scored and four RBI.
- Damaria Cannon went 2-for-3 in the win with a triple, one run scored, and an RBI. In Cannon’s last nine games, the freshman is hitting .500 with 11 hits. The rookie is hitting .400 on the season.
- The Knights led off the third, fourth, and fifth innings with a hit.
- UCF totaled nine hits in the win with seven different Knights recording a hit each.
- With her eight strikeouts on Friday, White has 429 in her career and is now fifth all-time in program history in strikeouts.
- White made her 96th career start putting her fourth all-time in program history just behind Hall of Famer Allison Kime.
- White also made her 123rd career appearance, which is just two shy of fourth all-time behind Ashleigh Cole.
- UCF improves their all-time record with the Tigers, 25-16.
UCF: 2-0 | 3rd | Damaria Cannon led the inning off with a triple and Brewer followed with a home run to left center.
UCF: 5-0 | 5th | Erin Emanuel led the inning off with a double off the left field wall and Cannon brought Emanuel home with a single to center. Denali Schappacher came in to run for Cannon and Brewer walked for runners on first and second. Karissa Ornelas singled to right center to plate Schappacher. Kaitlyn Jensen was hit by a pitch to load the bases and Kyra Klarkowski singled to right field to score Brewer.
MEM: 5-1 | 7th | Memphis led the inning off with a single and a UCF error continued the inning to put runners on first and second. Morton singled up the middle to score the runner from second.
The Knights and Tigers will play the second game in the series on Saturday at 5 p.m. ET.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).