ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team snapped a nine-game losing streak with a 7-0 win over Bethune-Cookman Wednesday evening at the UCF Softball Complex. The Knights split the doubleheader following a 4-1 eight inning loss earlier in the day.
The Knights improve to 29-18 on the season and remain 7-8 in American Athletic Conference play after the non-conference pair of midweek matchups.
Cassady Brewer paced the Knights offensively with a pair of hits and two RBI.
Things You Need to Know
- Vasquez had herself a career night striking out 11 Wildcats in the win over Bethune-Cookman. Vasquez surpassed her single-game high of 10.
- Takiya London tallied three hits with a double and brought in a run. London also stole two bases to help lead the Knights as the top base-stealing team in The American.
- Brooke Barlow went 2-for-3 on the evening with a run scored and one RBI including the game-tying run in the game against FIU in the bottom of the seventh.
- White pitched a complete game against FIU giving up seven hits, four runs, and striking out five. White moves to 20-13 on the season.
- Vasquez also tossed her fourth shutout of the season and 11th complete game.
- With two more doubles on the night, UCF now has 68 on the year and continues to lead The American in doubles per game.
- The Knights are 18-11 at home hitting ###....
- Brewer finished the evening with a home run, three runs scored, and knocked in two baserunners for a 1.250 slugging percentage.
- Brewer’s home run in the fifth inning gives the Knights 13 on the season.
- Jensen went 2-for-3 in the win against Bethune-Cookman, her first multi-hit game of the season.
- UCF totals for the evening was a total of 19 hits, eight runs, two doubles, and nine walks in the split evening.
- The Knights stole five total bases Wednesday for a total of 57 on the season.
FIU: 1-0 | 4th | Johns singled through the right side then stole second. Rivera singled to left center with two outs and the runner scored from the second.
UCF: 1-1 | 7th | Damaria Cannon led the inning off with a single and Tera Testa moved her over to second. Brooke Barlow ripped a single up the middle to tie the game as Cannon scored.
FIU: 4-1 | 8th | FIU strung together three singles and a triple to pull ahead in extra innings.
UCF: 2-0 | 1st | Cannon drew a leadoff walk and Schappacher followed with a single. Brewer immediately followed with a single off the wall in center to plate Cannon. Schappacher and Brewer both advanced on a wild pitch. Jazmine Esparza smacked a sacrifice fly to right field to score another run for the Knights.
UCF: 3-0 | 2nd | Hayley Bejarano drew a bases-loaded walk.
UCF: 5-0 | 5th | Brewer homered to right field. London smacked an infield single with the bases loaded.
UCF: 7-0 | 6th | The bases were loaded for Jensen after Schappacher, Brewer, and Esparza all reached safely. Jensen hit a sacrifice fly to left field to plate Schappacher and Tamesha Glover followed with a single to score Brewer.
The homestand continues for UCF with their final home AAC series against Houston from Friday through Sunday.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).