GREENVILLE, N.C. (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball squad completed their second straight American Athletic Conference sweep Saturday afternoon against ECU with a pair of wins. The Knights took game one, 5-3 and immediately followed the win with another victory, 7-2.
Alea White picked up both wins on the day to improve to 18-6 on the season and 5-0 in conference play.
Cassady Brewer paced the Knights on offense racking up three hits with a double and a home run Saturday. Jazmine Esparza and Tamesha Glover added a home run each for a total of three on the day for UCF.
UCF has won nine straight games and all six conference games played to improve to 26-9 overall and 6-0 in The American.
Things You Need To Know:
- White took both wins on the day. She has 61 career wins, which is fifth all-time in program history.
- On Saturday, White tossed 10.1 innings allowing two earned runs on eight hits while striking out five. White kept ECU to a .205 batting average and walked just one.
- In the pair of wins, UCF tallied 12 runs on 11 hits with three doubles and three home runs.
- Esparza’s three-run home run in the first inning was her first of the season. The junior finished with a team-high four RBI on the day as she continues to lead the team overall with 26.
- Glover collected two hits in the pair of wins with three RBI.
- The three homers from UCF on Saturday gives them 12 total on the season.
- Vasquez tossed 3.2 innings giving up six hits and gave up a trio of earned runs in the first game of the day.
- The three doubles from the Knights’ offense gives them 54 on the season, surpassing the total from 2018 (52).
- In conference play, UCF is hitting .272 as a team with 24 runs scored, 11 doubles, and a .404 slugging percentage.
- The 6-0 start for UCF in conference play is the third time overall the Knights have started off this well. UCF started 6-0 in 2015 in The American and 6-0 in 2004 in the Atlantic Sun.
- The sweep over ECU is the second-straight year the Knights have swept the Pirates.
- The Knights remain at the top of The American standings with South Florida and Tulsa close behind.
UCF: 3-0 | 1st | Damaria Cannon and Brewer each drew walks to bring up Esparza who blasted a home run to left field.
UCF: 4-0 | T3rd | With the bases loaded, Brooke Barlow brought home Tamesha Glover with an infield knock.
ECU: 4-2 | B3rd | The Pirates tallied three singles to bring in a pair of runs.
ECU: 4-3 | 4th | The Pirates narrowed UCF’s lead with another RBI single through the left side.
UCF: 5-3 | 6th | Kyra Klarkowski singled to left and Aubrey Johnson immediately followed with a double to left center scoring Klarkowski.
UCF: 3-0 | 1st | Glover singled to right field and Brewer moved her all the way around with a bunt and a throwing error. Esparza doubled to deep right center to bring home Brewer and Esparza then was able to score off a wild pitch.
ECU: 3-1 | 2nd | Logan Wood homered to left field
UCF: 4-1 | 3rd | Brewer homered to right center.
UCF: 7-1 | T5th | Glover crushed a home run to right center bringing in Denali Schappacher and Erin Emanuel.
ECU: 7-2 | B5th | The Pirates strung together a pair of singles and with the assistance of a wild pitch, scored.
The Knights are back home on Wednesday to host Jacksonville at 6 p.m.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).