ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team swept the UConn Huskies to open American Athletic Conference play with a 2-1 come-from-behind victory Sunday afternoon.
Freshman Tera Testa delivered the game-winning single to bring home two runs with one out in the seventh inning.
Jazmine Esparza collected two doubles in the win and went 2-for-3 on the day.
Alea White picked up her second win of the weekend giving her 15 wins on the year.
UCF improves to 23-9 overall and 3-0 in conference play.
Things You Need To Know:
- The Knights are the only team in conference play to sweep their opponents as they sit atop the standings.
- The Knights 23-9 start as conference play begins, is their third best start in program history after 2002 and 2015.
- UCF’s come-from-behind victory is the fifth time this season the Knights have trailed after the fifth inning and came back to win.
- Testa’s at-bat in the seventh inning was her first at-bat of the weekend and she recorded her first RBI of the season.
- White tossed her 15th complete game allowing five hits, two walks with seven strikeouts. White’s season earned run average is a low 1.50.
- In the win over UConn on Sunday, Aubrey Johnson tallied a pair of hits for a total of three over the weekend.
- Esparza went 4-for-8 on the weekend with two RBI and two doubles.
- Tamesha Glover wrapped up the weekend 3-for-8 with three runs scored, three doubles, two stolen bases, and one RBI.
- UCF scored two runs on eight hits in the win with three strikeouts. The Knights struckout just seven times against the Huskies.
- This is the second-straight season UCF has started conference play with a sweep.
UCONN: 1-0 | 6th | With a runner on second, the Huskies delivered a single and took the lead for the first time all weekend.
UCF: 2-1 | 7th | Esparza led off the inning with a single and Karissa Ornelas moved her over with a sacrifice bunt. Back-to-back singles loaded the bases for pinch hitter, Testa who ripped a single up the middle and with the help of an error by the center fielder, two runs scored for the walk-off win.
The Knights head to East Carolina for a three-game series with the Pirates Friday through Sunday.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).