ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – American Athletic Conference play begins this weekend for the UCF softball squad as they host UConn for a three-game series beginning Friday at 6 p.m.
Saturday’s game will be played at 2 p.m., and the series will wrap up on Sunday with an 11 a.m. first pitch.
All three games will be streamed live on UCFKnights.TV and live stats will also be available.
Friday’s promotion will be Bark in the Park where all dogs are invited to the UCF Softball Complex and please remember to bring all shot records. On Sunday, the Knights are hosting Father Daughter Day where dads and daughters can play catch in the outfield immediately following the game.
The Knights (20-9) are coming off an 8-1 win over Princeton on Wednesday heading into the weekend.
- UConn enters the weekend with a 9-13 record after facing Bethune-Cookman Wednesday evening. The Huskies shutout Bethune-Cookman, 8-0 in five innings.
- In their last seven games, UConn is 5-2 with a pair of wins over South Dakota and wins over Fordham and Mercer.
- UConn trails UCF in almost every offensive category. UCF exceeds the Huskies in batting average (.278-.251), total hits (200-142), slugging percentage (.395-.332), stolen bases (42-19), and walks (75-33).
- The Knights hold the advantage in the all-time series with a 12-4 record.
- Last season, UConn took the series up in Storrs winning the second and third games, which was the first time UCF has lost to UConn in back-to-back games.
- UConn finished last in the conference standings last season with a 20-35 overall record and a record of 5-16 in conference play. The Huskies were knocked out of the first round of The American Tournament with a 2-1 loss in extra innings.
- RPI: The first RPI for the 2019 was released and has the Knights at 37 in the RPI. They are the second-highest ranked team in the conference behind Tulsa (25) and one spot ahead of South Florida.
- PRINCETON RECAP: UCF pounced on the Tigers, 8-1 to begin their four-game homestand. Erin Emanuel crushed her first home run of the season and scored three runs, while Alea White and Breanna Vasquez teamed up in the circle to get the win. The win gives the Knights a 12-5 record at home.
- 2018 CONFERENCE PLAY: The Knights finished third in the conference last season with a 12-9 record and 8-1 at home. In the tournament, UCF was knocked out by Memphis in the first round at South Florida. Denali Schappacher paced the Knights with a .362 conference batting average and made both freshman and first-team all-conference honors.
- IT’S AN HONOR: Tamesha Glover made The American’s honor roll for the first time this season after her performance at Stetson. The junior hit .500 with three doubles, a home run, three RBI, and a pair of stolen bases.
- 20 WINS: With the win over Princeton, UCF notched its 20th win of the season. They are the third team in the conference to make the 20th win mark joining Houston and South Florida.
- AROUND THE AMERICAN: Before conference play begins, UCF is third in the overall standings behind Houston (21-8) and Tulsa (19-8). The Knights pace the conference in stolen bases per game and are second in doubles per game, earned run average, and fielding percentage.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).