Deland, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – 15 runs on 20 hits led the Knights to a pair of victories Saturday afternoon at Stetson to improve to 19-9 on the season.
UCF took the first game, 9-1 in five innings followed by a 6-1 win for game two.
Tamesha Glover led the Black and Gold offensively with five hits on the day including three doubles and a home run. Aubrey Johnson collected three hits and paced the squad with four RBI in the two games.
Alea White picked up her 12th win of the season in the first game as she improves to 12-6 on the year.
Breanna Vasquez grabbed UCF’s second win of the day to improve to 7-3 overall.
Things You Need To Know:
- In game one, the Knights scored all four runs in the second inning with two outs.
- Karissa Ornelas tallied three hits and brought in three runs, while Jazmine Esparza and Damaria Cannon each picked up two hits.
- Glover’s home run is her third on the season, the most she has hit in a single season in three years.
- UCF’s run-rule in the first game was the third time this season they have run-ruled a team in five innings.
- In game one, six of UCF’s starters recorded at least one hit. Together, they compiled 10 hits.
- The 11 hits from the Knights in the first game tied their second-highest hit total this season and just one shy of their season-high.
- Cannon received her first start of the season in the leadoff position. The freshman also started game two and went 2-for-6 on the day.
- White tossed five innings allowing just four hits and one earned run, while fanning four batters.
- Vasquez threw a complete game striking out three and allowed four hits keeping the Hatters to a .160 batting average.
- Savannah Julylia, Kendyl Lange, and Takiya London all came in to pinch hit in game two and each collected a single.
- Ten Knights recorded at least one hit in the pair of wins.
- The Knights went 8-for-9 on stolen bases with Esparza leading the team with three on the day.
- UCF continues to hold the advantage in the all-time series with the Hatters, 20-8.
UCF: 2-0 | 1st | After Tamesha Glover and Cassady Brewer reached on errors, Karissa Ornelas and Aubrey Johnson each delivered RBI singles.
UCF: 6-0 | T2nd | With two outs, Cannon singled and Glover plated her after Glover ripped a double to right field. Brewer reached again on a fielding error allowing Glover to score. Jazmine Esparza, Ornelas, and Johnson strung together three-straight singles four a four-run second.
STET: 6-1 | B2nd | McLaughlin homered to left field.
UCF: 8-1 | 3rd | Glover homered to center field.
UCF: 9-1 | 4th | Johnson reached on a fielder’s choice and came all the way around to score after a delayed steal and a throwing error by the pitcher.
UCF: 1-0 | T1st | Cannon and Glover started the game with a pair of singles and moved into scoring position with a sacrifice bunt from Brewer. After Cannon was thrown out at home, Ornelas delivered a single up the middle to plate Glover.
STET: 1-1 | B1st | After a pair of walks and a single, the Hatters scored on a fielder’s choice.
UCF: 6-1 | 4th | Julylia led off the inning with a single and the bases were quickly loaded with back-to-back walks for Glover and Brewer. Esparza brought in two runs off a Stetson error then Takiya London and Johnson each singled to bring in three more runs.
The Knights are back at home for midweek action against Princeton on Wednesday, March 20 at 6 p.m.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here: https://ucfknights.co/2RYIOhq.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).