ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team picked up another pair of wins at home Friday after taking down Dartmouth, 10-0 in five innings followed by a win against Toledo, 2-1 in eight innings to start the UCF Invitational.
Alea White pitched against Dartmouth and allowed just three hits, while striking out eight. White moves to 6-4 on the season.
Breanna Vasquez tossed the second game of the evening giving up just three hits and striking out eight Rockets. Vasquez improves to 5-1 in her rookie season.
UCF was led offensively by Jazmine Esparza who delivered the game-winning hit against the Rockets. As a team, the Knights tallied 11 hits and 12 runs with four doubles.
The Black and Gold improve to 11-5 on the season and 9-3 at the UCF Softball Complex.
Things You Need To Know:
- Esparza went 3-for-3 in the first game with a triple and two RBI. She finished the night 4-for-7 and three RBI.
- Senior Erin Emanuel went 2-for-3 against Dartmouth and brought in a pair of runs. She collected two runs scored and three total bases.
- UCF’s 10 runs in the first game made for their 10th win of the season.
- White’s complete game shutout against Dartmouth was the 12th shutout of her career to move her to sixth all-time in program history.
- The Knights did not strikeout in the first game.
- Cassady Brewer drew three walks Friday night. That gives her 102 total walks in her career, only behind Stephanie Best with 147.
- Vasquez has gone 34 innings without giving up an earned run. After her loss against Minnesota, Vasquez has a 5-0 record with 31 strikeouts, four walks, and 18 hits. When Vasquez is in the circle, the Knights outscore their opponents, 30-4.
Game 1 – vs Dartmouth
UCF: 5-0 | 2nd | With Aubrey Johnson and Esparza in scoring position, Emanuel hammered a double off the center field wall to bring in the first two runs of the inning. Denali Schappacher drew a walk and Schappacher and Emanuel put on the double steal to once again get in scoring position. Tamesha Glover ripped a triple to right field to bring in both Emanuel and Schappacher. Brewer then delivered a double to right center to bring in Glover.
UCF: 7-0 | 3rd | Johnson and Esparza reached base again to lead off the inning and after a pass ball and an error, Johnson crossed the plate. With Esparza on third, Kyra Klarkowski laid down a bunt to bring her in.
UCF: 10-0 | 4th | Esparza tripled to deep center field to score Tera Testa and Takiya London then Esparza was able to score off a sacrifice fly from Karissa Ornelas.
Game 2 – vs Toledo
TOL: 1-0 | 8th | Starting with a runner on second base due to international tie-breaker rules, a sacrifice bunt put a runner on third with just one out. The Rockets scored after Glover dove for a ball and could only get the runner out at first.
UCF: 2-1 | 8th | With Emanuel at second, Schappacher moved Emanuel over to third with a sacrifice bunt. Brewer drew a walk and with the assistance of an error in left field, Emanuel scored off a dropped ball. The game was tied as Esparza hit a bouncing single to left field for a walk-off victory.
The Knights will face LA Tech for the final time this season on Saturday at 5:30pm.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here: https://ucfknights.co/2RYIOhq. Single game tickets go on sale February 1.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).