ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team completed the weekend sweep of the Knights Classic Sunday afternoon after defeating Louisiana Tech, 5-2. All five of UCF’s runs came with two outs in the fifth inning.
Breanna Vasquez received her second start of the weekend and threw her fourth complete game of the season as she improves to 4-1.
With the win, the Knights extend their win streak to six as they improve to 9-4 on the season and 7-2 at home.
Things You Need To Know:
- This is the best 13 game start the Knights have had since 2015.
- Vasquez allowed just four hits and struck out six in Sunday’s win. On the weekend, she did not allow an earned run as she went 2-0 and kept opponents to a .167 batting average.
- Brewer led the way with the bat going 2-for-3 with two RBI and a double on the day. For the weekend, Brewer hit .500 with three doubles, six RBI, and a .800 slugging percentage.
- London, Ornelas, and Testa all came in to pinch hit in the fifth inning and each recorded a hit to help the Knights two-out rally.
- Denali Schappacher ended the weekend going 9-for-15 (.600) with six runs scored a stolen base.
- Aubrey Johnson wrapped up the Knights Classic hitting .462 collecting a double, three RBI, and a stolen base.
- Bejarano and Jazmine Esparza each provided four hits each this weekend for UCF, while Tamesha Glover collected two.
- This is one of three games with the Lady Techsters scheduled for this season.
TECH: 2-0 | 4th | After a pair of hits and an error, LA Tech, brought in one run on a squeeze play and another after the runner scored when UCF picked off a runner at second.
UCF: 5-2 | 5th | Hayley Bejarano started the inning with a single up the middle and two strikeouts followed, but Tera Testa ignited the rally with a single up the middle to put runners on first and second. Ornelas followed suit with a base hit to score Bejarano. London worked a 2-2 count and ripped a single up the middle to even up the score. Schappacher was hit by a pitch to load the bases and Esparza was also hit by a pitch immediately after to give UCF a 3-2 lead. With the bases loaded, Brewer waited on a change-up and drove the ball to deep left center to plate Schappacher and London to make it a 5-2 ball game.
The Knights will play a midweek contest with LA Tech on Wednesday at 5 p.m., at the UCF Softball Complex. Live stats and a live stream will be available.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here: https://ucfknights.co/2RYIOhq. Single game tickets go on sale February 1.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).