ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team completed the Saturday sweep with wins over Pitt and Penn State Saturday evening at the UCF Softball Complex.
The Knights took the first game of the day against the Nittany Lions, 3-2 in eight innings thanks to a walk-off sacrifice fly from Aubrey Johnson.
The Black and Gold’s second win on the day came against the Panthers shutting out Pitt, 2-0. With the win, the Knights posted three consecutive Power 6 wins, swept Pitt, and picked up their fifth straight win.
Alea White earned wins in both games tossing 15 innings and allowing just two earned runs while posting a 0.93 earned run average. The junior’s record improves to 5-3.
The Knights improve to 8-4 overall and 6-2 at home as they head into Sunday’s action.
Things You Need To Know:
- Johnson hit .667 on the day collecting four hits including a double and drove in two of the Knights’ five runs.
- Cassady Brewer added two more hits to her weekend and drove in a run with a double.
- Denali Schappacher continues to have an impressive weekend on offense picking up a pair of hits on the day. She is 8-for-13 (.615) in the tournament with nine total bases, one walk, and a stolen base.
- Savannah Julylia received her first at-bat at the UCF Softball Complex against Penn State in the first game and grabbed her first hit at home in game two with a single to right field.
- Tamesha Glover contributed seven assists at the hot corner and posted a perfect fielding percentage.
- White totaled 11 strikeouts and kept opponents to a .170 batting average Saturday.
- White moves to the fifth most all-time program wins passing Lindsay Enders with 48 career wins.
- Ashley Stephenson received her first start of her collegiate career in the circle.
- UCF evens the all-time series with Penn State, 2-2, and now holds the advantage in all-time meetings with the Panthers, 3-2.
Game 1 – vs. Penn State
PSU: 2-0 | 1st | Bisi homered to left field.
UCF: 2-2 | 6th | Jazmine Esparza reached on an infield single and Brewer brought Esparza in with a double to left center. With Takiya London standing on third, Brooke Barlow smacked sacrifice fly into foul territory allowing London to tag up.
UCF: 3-2 | 8th | UCF loaded the bases after starting with a runner on second due to the international tiebreaker rule, Johnson delivered a sacrifice fly to right field to score Esparza for the walk-off win.
Game 2 – vs. Pitt
UCF: 1-0 | 2nd | After Hayley Bejarano and Barlow reached base, Johnson doubled to right field to score Bejarano from second.
UCF: 2-0 | 3rd | Courtesy of a throwing error by the Panthers, Schappacher came around to score from second.
UCF wraps up the Knights Classic with a Sunday matinee against LA Tech at 2:30pm. Live stats and a live stream will be available.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here: https://ucfknights.co/2RYIOhq. Single game tickets go on sale February 1.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).