PUERTO VALLARTA (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF softball team went 1-1 Saturday after grabbing a win over Northern Colorado, 7-0, but fell to No. 25 Mississippi State, 11-3.
Breanna Vasquez started the first game picking up the win and her second shutout of the season. Vasquez allowed only three hits and registered 10 strikeouts.
Alea White recorded the loss in the second game against the Bulldogs and move to 1-3 on the season.
Overall, the Knights are 3-4 with one game left in the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge.
Things You Need To Know:
- Cassady Brewer went 3-for-5 on the day getting her first hits of the season. Two of those hits weren’t back-to-back doubles.
- After receiving her second start of the season, Tomberlin came in clutch with a pair of hits against Northern Colorado.
- Esparza also collected three hits and two doubles to improve her batting average to .318.
- Tamesha Glover’s bat continue to stay hot adding a hit as she is batting .389.
- Vasquez had a no-hitter going until the sixth inning against Northern Colorado. She moves to 2-1 on the season.
- The Knights tallied six doubles between the two games and 10 hits overall.
- The win over the Bears is the second game this season with a 7-0 finish. Vasquez tossed both games.
- Savannah Julylia received her first start as a Knight in left field against Mississippi State.
Game 1 – Northern Colorado
UCF: 1-0 | 1st | Esparza ripped a single through the right-side scoring Kendyl Lange who pinch ran for Cassady Brewer after Brewer smashed a double to left center.
UCF: 6-0 | 3rd | Esparza doubled down the left field line scoring Brewer and Glover for her second consecutive hit. The Knights loaded the bases for Tomberlin who ripped a bases-clearing double to right field to bring in three more runs.
UCF: 7-0 | 6th | Glover reached on a Northern Colorado miscue and Savannah Julylia scored after reaching on a bunt single.
Game 2 – Mississippi State
UCF: 2-0 | 1st | Aubrey Johnson brought in two runs after a hard hit up the middle to go up early.
UCF: 3-0 | 2nd | Esparza doubled to left center bringing in Julylia who reached on a double down the left field line.
MS: 10-3 | 2nd | The Bulldogs compiled 10 hits for 10 runs.
MS: 11-3 | 5th | With the bases loaded, a hit-by-pitch gave the Bulldogs their 11th run and ended the game.
The Knights conclude the PV College Challenge in their first ever matchup with Sacramento State at noon. Live stats and a live stream are available for the contest.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here: https://ucfknights.co/2RYIOhq. Single game tickets go on sale February 1.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).