ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – After a back-and-forth battle and numerous opportunities for both sides, the Knights fell to UC Irvine, 1-0 Monday evening at the UCF Soccer Complex in their second consecutive overtime match.
The Knights dominated the ball offensively in the first half tallying nine shots. Gorka Aperribay nearly put the Knights ahead after a header off the crossbar followed by a header from Noah Murphy that missed just high.
The defense was just as good in the first half holding the Anteaters to just three shots and no corners.
UCF falls even to 1-1, while the Anteaters grab their first win of the season and move to 1-0-1.
UCI | 93:22 | The Anteaters went streaking down the far sideline and ripped a shot into the top corner for the golden goal victory.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- UCF held the advantage in total shots, 15-9 with five shots on goal.
- Cal Jennings made his 2018 debut firing two shots on goal, pacing the Knights.
- Seniors Max Steigwardt and Aperribay led the squad with three shots each.
- This marks the Knights first home loss since 2016.
- Corners were in UCF’s favor once again with a 5-1 advantage over UC Irvine.
The Knights continue their homestand hosting Liberty on Friday, Aug. 31 at 7 p.m at the UCF Soccer Complex.
Season tickets for the 2018 campaign are on sale now. Fans looking to purchase tickets can call (407) 823-1000 or visit UCFKnights.com to secure them today. For men's soccer tickets CLICK HERE.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.