ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – A weather delay and a date change could not deter the UCF women’s soccer team as the Knights posted a 3-0 victory over Florida on Monday afternoon at the UCF Soccer Complex.
Originally schedule to play on Sunday evening, UCF (2-2-1) and Florida (2-5-1) were forced to restart the contest on Monday due to inclement weather in the Orlando area on Sunday night.
The Knights took a 1-0 lead into halftime on a penalty kick from Zandy Soree. The junior midfielder doubled UCF’s edge in the 70th minute and Stefanie Sanders collected the third goal of the match for the Black and Gold.
Vera Varis posted her second clean sheet of the season, making just one save in the match.
The Knights earned their first win over Florida since 2011.
- Monday’s result is UCF’s fourth win in the all-time series with the Gators, who are receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll.
- The three Black and Gold goals tie the most that UCF has scored in a match against Florida.
- The Knights shut out Florida for the third time, posting their largest margin of victory over the Gators with the 3-0 win.
- Monday’s contest marked the third time that the programs met since 2015, with the Knights earning their first victory under Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak’s tenure.
Goals on Goals on Goals
- UCF tallied three markers in the contest, tying the most goals the Knights have scored against Florida.
- Zandy Soree finished with a brace, converting a penalty kick in the 10th minute to open the scoring.
- Soree bagged her second goal in the 70th minute, sending a cross from Stefanie Sanders in the top left corner.
- Sanders tallied her own goal in the 72nd minute, slipping the ball behind the Gators goalkeeper for her first marker of the season.
What They Said
Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak: "We have so much respect for the Gators. They're always going to get our best performance. We were able to show that. Overall, the whole team put in a performance today. We had so many people coming off the bench. That rotation really helped us in this weather."
Senior Goalkeeper Vera Varis: "Of course the win means a lot, but the way we played - we played so good. We possessed the ball; we were brave; we played our own game. It builds our confidence for the next games."
Junior Midfielder Zandy Soree: "It was a great game. Every person that came on the field gave it their all. We never let up. It was a great effort from everybody."
The Knights continue their homestand, welcoming George Mason to the UCF Soccer Complex on Sept. 13.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF women's soccer team is set for its sixth season under head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak and will welcome five teams from the 2017 NCAA Tournament to the UCF Soccer Complex in 2018. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.