ORLANDO (UCFKnights.com) – Alea White highlighted Friday evening at the UCF Softball Complex throwing her first career no-hitter in a 1-0 win over Coastal Carolina. White also broke her single-game high in strikeouts fanning 12 Chanticleers.
White faced 23 batters (striking out over half the hitters) walking just two while throwing 102 pitches in the complete game shutout.
UCF completed the Friday night sweep also taking down Power 6 opponent, Pitt in five innings, 9-1. Cassady Brewer ended the game on a bases-clearing double putting the Knights up by eight to initiate the run rule.
As a team, the Knights collected 17 hits, 10 runs, and drew nine walks.
The Knights move above .500 with a 6-4 overall record heading into the rest of the weekend. White improves to 3-3 overall and Breanna Vasquez moves to 3-1 after another strong outing.
Things You Need To Know:
- Denali Schappacher led the Knights at the plate going a perfect 6-for-6 with four runs and a stolen base. In the field, the sophomore was also perfect in right field with a pair of putouts.
- Jazmine Esparza continues to tear it up at the plate bringing in three runs on a pair of hits. Esparza brought in the sole run in the win over Coastal Carolina.
- Hayley Bejarano, Tamesha Glover, and Aubrey Johnson each went 2-for-4 with Johnson grabbing a RBI.
- The Knights handed Coastal Carolina just their second loss of the season in the first ever meeting between the two teams.
- The first hit of the night for the visitors didn’t come until the third inning of the second game with a single to right field.
- Vasquez threw five innings allowing just three hits and no earned runs as she picked up her third consecutive win.
- Defense stats
- The last no-hitter at UCF came on April 11, 2015 when Mackenzie Audas threw a five-inning no-hitter against Houston. Shelby Turnier threw a seven-inning no hitter against UConn on March 28, 2015.
Game 2 – vs. Pitt
UCF: 3-0 | 2nd | After Kyra Klarkowski drew a walk, Erin Emanuel moved Klarkowski to second with a sacrifice bunt to bring up Glover. Glover ripped a double to left field to score Klarkowski. Schappacher reached on a single and Esparza came in clutch again with a single through the right-side scoring Glover and Schappacher.
UCF: 5-0 | 4th | Brooke Barlow drew a bases-loaded walk to plate Glover then Johnson singled through the left side to score Schappacher.
PITT: 5-1 | 5th | Barbee doubled to left field and brought in Solak.
UCF: 9-1 | 5th | Takiya London crossed the plate off a Panther throwing error. Brewer ended the game with a bases-clearing double to right center.
The Knights play another doubleheader on Saturday against Penn State and Pitt starting at 3pm. Live stats and a live stream will be available.
TICKETS FOR 2019
Fans can purchase tickets for the 2019 UCF softball season by calling (407) 823-1000 or online here: https://ucfknights.co/2RYIOhq. Single game tickets go on sale February 1.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.
FOLLOW THE KNIGHTS
Follow UCF Softball on social media on Facebook (/UCFSoftball), Twitter (UCF_Softball) and Instagram (UCF.Softball).